Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New video tutorial

This video shows you how to cast foot lasts using the latex moulds made in the previous video.

And what happened to the rest of the resin? There was very little left, but fortunately, doll shoes can have really tiny soles. I picked two wedge sole moulds for the final castings.

As I only have one mould per design, I had to mix the resin in two batches. That wasn't easy, considering that this was all the hardener left:

And there wasn't much resin left in the bottle either.

This photo shows the tiny air bubbles you may get in the mixed resin. Letting the mixture be for a minute after mixing helps getting rid of these.

Here are the finished soles. The ones on the left are for Silkstone Barbies and the ones on the right for Pepper Parsons (a Pinkie Cooper doll).

I was curious to see how good I had been at measuring the components. The resin and hardener came in 250 ml bottles. At the time the hardener ran out, there was some resin left. About 7 ml isn't much when you consider the total amount.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

First video tutorial

I just filmed the first video tutorial of the new series. It's about making latex moulds of a doll's feet.

The next video will be about using foot moulds to make castings.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fashion Doll Shoes videos

I have decided to try making proper video tutorials in addition to blog posts. You will be able to find them on my YouTube channel, but I will also be posting them here. The first video is just an intro to let you see my face. If I sound a bit unnatural, it's simply because I was reading most of the stuff from a paper. The future videos should be more natural, i.e. contain much more pauses, problems with selecting the right words, getting sentences all muddled up, and other fun stuff like that. Anyway, here is that first video:

Sunday, January 19, 2014

New foot lasts

Going through the stuff inspired me to do something else as well. I decided to use the rest of the casting resin before it goes bad. The latex is also getting a bit thick, so it's better to use it as well. So, I'm making some more foot lasts.

All this has been done before and posted in this blog, but here are some photos anyway. The first one shows Sybarite's feet with flower tape around the ankles and several layers of latex applied.

The next one is Tonner's Jessica Rabbit (17" athletic body). First with flower tape covering the ankle joints...

...and then with latex applied.

Here are the finished moulds for both.

And here are the resin castings made with the moulds. You can see the flower tape clearly, but it is much neater than saran wrap.

As you can see in this photo showing the earlier plaster castings of Sybarite's feet and the new resin castings.